Saturday, October 27, 2012
Anyon
This week in class we read a article by a lady named Jean Anyon. She wrote about how our schools today only let us excel into the neighborhood we were born into. She said that "students in different social-class backgrounds are rewarded for classroom behaviors that correspond to personality traits allegedly rewarded in the different occupational strata...." Meaning that when you are from a certain neighborhood, your curriculum is based on that neighborhood and you are already destined to a certain level of productivity in society. I do not agree with this completely. I believe that the government makes certain curriculum for certain areas of the nation to fit the needs that are in that area. I do not agree with that idea though. I think it is wrong to assume that someone that grew up there will stay there long-term and it is foolish to think that someone is only as good as their neighborhood. There are many people that rise above there neighborhood to achieve personal success. It is amazing what people can overcome when they have had someone believe in them. People should not judge children based on where they came from, because we are the writers in their brains during the most impressionable years of their lives. If we have an undercurrent of failure on them before they even come in the classroom, where will they go from there? I can tell you it wouldn't be up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with your statement. The idea is wrong, but maybe back it up with some textual evidence from the book. Why don't you believe that except because of the few that rise above?
ReplyDelete